Yesterday, I blogged about some of my new writing projects (a contemporary baseball romance and a Regency romance), and shared Burn Story #1: The Incredible Hulk Burn. Today, I have another memorable burn story to share with you, but first, I'd like to present some statistics so we can all be in the right frame of mind for my tale.
- Odds of being struck by lightning in your life-time: 1 in 3,000*
- Odds of becoming President of the United States: 1 in 10,000,000*
- Odds of winning the Powerball jackpot: 1 in 175,000,000*
- Odds of being badly burned by a rogue popcorn kernel: 1 in 1,000,000,000 (<-I made this up, but it has to be somewhere around there)
And now, I share with you another memorable burn story.
Burn Story #2: The Unfortunate Popcorn Kernel Incident of 2010
It was a Tuesday night in September. I was ready to settle in to watch NCIS, and what better to go with my favorite Naval team of investigators than a nice bowl of fresh-popped popcorn? Exactly.
So, I pulled out my trusty electric popcorn popper--an old model that once belonged to my grandmother, and got to work.
The batch started out like any other. I got a bowl. I poured in the kernels. I flipped the switch to ON. There was a whirring noise and things started to happen. Popcorn started popping. But I found out the hard way: snacks can be dangerous.
And then, in the midst of puffy, white clouds, a rogue kernel took flight. It flew out of the popper, bounced off the counter, and landed in a very uncomfortable location under my shirt. Ladies (and maybe some men): I think you know the spot I'm talking about. That V where things tend to fall and get stuck.
This kernel was hot! Piping hot! Skin sizzling hot!
I did one heck of a I-have-a-hot-popcorn-kernel-trapped-in-my-bosom dance. I let out a horror-movie yelp. And I got that bugger out of there as fast as I could..but it was too late. The damage was already done.
And let's just say it was bad. Not only is that location tricky to bandage, but for those of you who have ever sunburned your chest, you can probably imagine the discomfort. Especially if you've blistered.
I'll be honest, I stuck with microwave popcorn for a long time after that. But there's just something about fresh popped corn that I love, so I've plugged the popper back in, poured in some kernels, and flipped the switch. But these days, I make sure to wear high-necked shirts and safety goggles, just in case.**
I can laugh about it now. And maybe you will, too.
*Google search results
**Serious about the shirt. Kidding about the safety goggles, but they probably aren't a bad idea.