- I've been up to my chin in consulting/on-call projects. They have all been challenging, and educational, and allow me to keep my critical-chemistry-thinking skills up, but man do my synapses hurt. The good news is that I'm knocking them out at a fairly steady pace, so I feel good about that. And feeling useful and needed always helps.
- PhysicsSlam 2013 @FermiLab. Perhaps one of the most awesomely nerdy things I've attended. Five real-life Sheldon Cooper's explaining their work in 10-minutes. God particles. Dark matter. Neutrino flavors. Future Nobel Laureates. Mind blown!
- Visit with my parents in the Midwest, and then continued in NH. 1 1/2 weeks of quality time together, complete with turkey feather hunting, plane trips, tax-free shopping, and a visit from my sister.
- Thanksgiving. Not only did I eat turkey, but I also took advantage of some father-in-law baby watching to nap, knit 2 baby blankets, and reread The Witch of Blackbird Pond. I also baked bread, make turkey pot pie, planned my Christmas presents, and snuck in a Hallmark sappy-dappy-lovey-dovey 2-Kleenex movie.
- I decorated a late fall/winter wreath for the front door.
- I've been watching the NIU football team kick some butt. So proud of my Huskies!
- I did "some" writing. Not a lot. I might have gotten in 10K on my latest WIP. I did manage some background research to buoy my plot, and even requested a book from the library to help (it came in today, yippee)...but I didn't get to 40K in November like I'd hoped. The good news is that I have some awesome Beta readers who have volunteered to go chapter by chapter, and their feedback has really helped propel the story.
- I got the idea for my next novel last night, as I was about to fall asleep. I'm still trying to work out the particulars (a good thing to do while folding laundry and washing dishes), but I think I'm on to something. Woo hoo!
- I have been averaging ~5 hrs of sleep a night. It seems that these three teeth my 17-month old is threatening to get are stubborn little mules who like to ache at ~11 pm, 2 am, 3:30 am, and 5 am. I beg you, little pearls of dentin and enamel, just come out. We know you're there. There's no use hiding. And coffee can only keep me awake (without jitters) for so long...I'm can't swill it (like I used to do in college) anymore.
I know I've missed some key happenings, but really, it's been busy. Forgive me. The good news is that I'm still chugging along, the little engine that could. I have a to-do list the length of my arm, and I'm perpetually wearing my crabby pants, but let me tell you, I've got a three bags of whole bean hazelnut coffee in the pantry, a hoard of Stash chai tea, and a chocolate advent calendar...and I'm not afraid to use them.
Until the dust settles...